Saturday, Dec 16, 2017
Login

Mulch bad for dogs?

Barkley is an adorable 3 month old Beagle puppy I just started pet sitting for. I’m sure you’re surprised to read that she LOVES to chew on anything she can get a hold of including shoes, socks and rugs. Along with these items, she also likes to chew on the dark brown mulch in the backyard. Although I try to pry the mulch from her mouth, she instinctively turns around to nab another piece. While her owner voiced her concern for Barkley’s mulch munching, I remembered reading about the dangers of certain kinds of mulch. Once again, I did a little research, only to find SarasotaDog.com once again answered my question.

Turns out, cocoa mulch contains an ingredient called “theobromine.” This ingredient is used to make chocolate, which we all know very well is toxic to dogs. The mulch has a very enticingly sweet smell, making it very appealing to dogs. This particular mulch is popular because it’s organic (not to mention the chocolate smell) and has been widely sold at Home Depot (Vita Soil is a popular brand). Just a few ounces is all it takes for a dog to become ill. It can start from an upset stomach to an increased heart rate to seizures and from there, possibly death. This all depends on the size of the dog and how much has been ingested.

Thankfully, the mulch at my client’s home is NOT cocoa mulch and we can rest at ease about the subject. But please be aware of what you’re using in your garden and if you use a landscaper, mention your concerns to them. For further info, visit ASPCA‘s website.

Thanks again, Sarasota Dog!